GSE-utbyte Hiroshima oktober 2000

1 October 2000

2 October 2000

3 October 2000

In the morging were introduced to the govenor of Hiroshima prefecture- Mr Yuzuan Fujita.
After the reception Jan-Erik explain something in our pamphlet for the govenor and then it was time for the group photo.

At lunch we were invited to Hiroshima Rotary Club,where we got the possibility to introduce ourselves, here Kristin in front of about 80 rotarien.

After the meeting we were photographed together with ass. guvernor Mr. Shousou Sugihara (far right) and theclubpresident Mr. Kinya Matsuda.

We also visit the NTT It-lab (NTT ~ Telia, where we were toldabout there research in telephone and IT).

After the Rotary lunch Anna needed batteries to her camera,so we buy them in a 7-11 store.

4 October 2000

Anna, Petter and Jan-Erik visiting MAZDA.We were informed about the production of commercial and passenger cars (800000/year).
After that we visit the production lines, the welding lines for bodiesas well as the trimming and final assembly linesguided by Mr Hiroshi Yamamoto

(and one interpreter)
We also visit the MAZDA museum, you can here see thefirst car with Rotary(!)engine (Wankel) build 1967. Jan-Erik was very interested in the future car!

5 October 2000

On this day we transfered to the city of Saijo (or Higachi-Hiroshima, east Hiroshima = newer name)
First we visit a Sake Brewery where we also were invitedto the owner for green tea and some sweeties. This was also the hostfamilyfor Pettasan

(= honored Petter). In the evening he had to sit for more hours in Tatame style (the next day he had some troubles with his legs!)
You also see a picture of a typical Japanesse house.

Another picture shows Kristinsan entering a hospital for vocational studies.
In the evening we participate in a combined Rotaryclub meeting for the two Rotaryclubs in Saijo. We were sitting around a table together with the govenor.
You can not imaging the hospitality they show to us here in Japan, during the whole days and during Rotary meetings.

6 October 2000

During this daY we visit the University of Hiroshima, the Sience Park in Saijo and met the mayor of Saijo City.
As we left the mayor, on the way down from his office, wetake part of an earthquake, one of the bigest one in Saijo ever. (4 on the Richter scale).
In the collage you see a laboratory in the mechanical faculty of Hiroshima uni.,department for vehicle studies, which Annasan (= honored Anna) visit.
You also see the wonderful Japanesse garden by Dr. Dohi, the govenor of the Rotary District 2710, where teamleader Jan-erikusan lived for 2 nights.
In the sience park we visit the JIVA (Japan International Cooperation Agency)where they give the possibility to students from foreign countries

to studyJapanesse language and culture, to achieve a better understanding among people in the world.
In the collage you see a seminar in Japanesse hold for students from Korea and China.
At the botton you see pictures from visits at Visteon, a company that builds controlsystemsfor the automotive industry and at the far right

a picture from Matsushito, a company that builds software and hardware for DVD-recorders.

7 October 2000

In this night we felt the earthquake again (4 times). This earthquake was in fact bigger then the one in Kobe, but the epicentrum was in a rural area.
Today it is time for Sake festival, more than 800 different sakewines are offered.
The picture with the japanesse signs is written by the Red Cross and says thatit is not allowed to give blood if you have tasted Sake.
We were also invited to the president of Saijo RC, Mr Sugii to a traditional meal.
In the afternoon we listened to a chines Ko Kyu player in an event together withthe partnership city to Saijo in China.
The net shown in one picture is a golf drivning range. You see a lot of them here.
The last pictures show a buddist Temple (1300 years old). The central statue of Buddain this Temple is only to be seen every 33 years.

8 - 9 October 2000

Sunday (8th) was a free day, we just walked around, looked at the Sake-festial.
In this day we have a little bit of rain.

Monday (9th) is a National Holyday. We were invited by Hondasan to a typicalSushi bar, where different Sushi plates were placed on a moving belt,

you just take one plate after another from the belt. It was very tasty.

After that we visiteda Panchinko hall with a lot of Panchinko mashines. Pettasan tested, but he did not won anything. Renarssan won a lot,

and Kristinsan won a little.

In the evening the Saijo Rotary Club gave a farewell party for us, and we have a lotof fun, as you can see.

On the picture you see Sugiisan singing a japanesse song for us.

10 October 2000

Rather early in the morning, we took farewell of Saijo and went with the bullettrain (shinkansen) City of Fukujawa,

where Rotary members from Fukujama rotaryclub met us.

We then went to a company - Amano making freeze-dryed food . The company was owned by the past Guvenor Mr. Amano.
As it is a food-producing company the cleaness in the factory is very importent, We have to wear special clothes. It was a intresting vocational study,

to see how they work in a process industry. You see a picture of us outside the factory, together with Mr. Amano and the president of Fukujawa RC.

We then participated in a Rotary-meeting (Fukujawa-West RC). A student from Mongolia talked about his country.
In the afternoon we just strolled around in the city.
In the evening we were invited to dinner together with Rotary friends from Fukujawa

 11 October 2000

In the morning we left Fukujama with Shinkansen for Onomichi.
There we wre picked up by Mr. Abo and another rotarian for a sightseeing tour aroundInland sea islands.

This was a very beatiful trip where we went over 4 bridges.
Our first stop was at the Oyamazumi Shrine where we also saw some National treasurses.
The largest bride is the Tatara bridge.
On the way back we visited the Kosanji Temple ("private" buddist temple) at whichMr. Kuetani has created the marble "sculpture" - Colle Della Sperenza.

12 October 2000

In the morning we left Onomichi for Kure by car, along the coast. It was very beatiful.
Among others we saw some Oyster"farms" (not ready to eat yet!)
In Kure we visited Kure RC and in the evening we met our hostfamilies for the next two days.
Before that we were teached about the Kansei technology (human engineering)by Mr. Nagamachi (president of the Kure nat. Inst. of Technology)
BUT before that we visited an elementary shool where the students had prepered andsung a swedish song "schottis" for us.

They had also made swedish flags.
We sung a japanesse song together with them and after that they asked us questions aboutSweden for almost 20 min. This was a real culture exchange!!

13 October 2000

In the morning we left Kure for the Island Etajima and a visit at the First Service School - Japan Maritime Self Defense Force.
On the way to the school we travelled over two bridges.
At the school we first were shown around and introduced to theireducational system and after that we got the possibility to visittheir Museum.

Among other thing there were three marble plates withthe names of all Kamikaze-pilots (2633).
On the picture in the upper left corner you can see one of thesubmarines that participated at Pearl Harbor.
On the way back to Kure we took a ferry.

In the afternoon Petter and Jan-Erik visited Mr. Chogyoji¥s company.
This company manufacture pipes, as a subcontractor, for boilers and turbines.
(Mr. Chogyoji is a rotarian and also the host for Jan-Erik during the stay in Kure).

14 October 2000

In the morning we left Kure for Hiroshima and the Distict Conference.
In the afternoon we scrolled around in the city and also send some e-mail.
At 18.00 we were invited to the District Conference Party. The Govenor Mr. Dohi held a speech.
You also see Jannesan together with Rotary Int. Past Dir. John Carrick and Dr. Dohi¥s wife.
This was a wonderful party, the japanesse hospitality is out of limits.

15 October 2000

After breakfast we went by bus to Saijo, for the district conference.
In the lobby we met Mr Sugii with his lovely wife. The conference startedwith a very professional performance f

or 20 minutes by young schoolchildrenfrom Saijo.

They were singing, dancing and talking in a traditional way aboutsake-making, which is a speciality of Saijo.
The upper right picture shows the district governor, Mr Dohi and the RI repr.Past Director John Carrick.
Our teamleader held a short presentation about Sweden and Latvia and thenwe got the opportunity to introduce ourselves

in very poor japanese.
Jan-Erik presented greetings governor to governor... and presented a banner

from the Swedish Rotary Club of Kisa to the Japanese Rotary Club of Kisa.
For lunch we were invited to lunch in the sun with members of Rotary in Yamaguchi prefecture.

Following a delicious lunch, we strolled at a flee-market and then went to the countryside for some snacks

at a traditional japanese restaurant.
Renars enjoyed the fresh countryside air. Jan-Erik proudly admired his pink thing.
Then back to the district conference for some more snacks and beverages.
Kampai, traditional bamboo-flute music, mingling, traditional percussion and 

finally an excellent speach by Sugii-san of Saijo Rotary Club.

Transfer back to Hiroshima by train.

Dubbelklicka här för att lägga till din egen text.

16 October 2000

After breakfast we took Shinkansen to Ogori Station, and went by car to Yamaguchi City.
After lunch we visited a beatiful garden and then we continued to the KDDI Satellite Earth Station where we were snowned around.

The largest antenna has a diameter of 34m. This station is used for commercial telecom. but also for Inmarsat-trafic,
i.d. for ships (also Internet-trafic) and aircrafts.

We also looked at a local TV-station and a Pagoda. In the evening we were invited to a welcome party with was very pleasent.
With flags, songs and good food. We feel they are already our friends here in Yamaguchi.

17 October 2000

After breakfast we visited the Prefecture Office in Yamaguchi.and continued to a private Cable TV station.
They produced a presentation about us, to be showned in the news in the afternoon.

In the afternoon we shortly visited NTT telephone network station inYamaguchi and then continued to the famous Akiyoshido limestone cave
in the center of Yamaguchi prefecture.

On the way home we passed thefamous Akiyoshidai Plateau, without trees, but with many limestones.
In the evening we were invited to the Yamaguchi - Center(Chuo) RC, where present ourselves and our countries.

In these evening meetings there often is some kind of entertainment.

18 October 2000

After breakfast; Renars visited the University of Yamaguchi, Kristin visited a Hospitaland Anna, Petter and Jan-Erik visited

Mazda - Hofu plant, where they manufacture 3 models of passenger cars.

We were showned around the assembly line, with a high degree of automation.
They use about 700 robots for the assembly.At lunch we participate in a Rotary meeting with Yamaguchi RC.

In one picture you see the Clubpresident Mr. Yamaguchi greeting us.
On the other picture Kristin explains swedish traditions.
In the afternoon we visited an art museum and strolled around in the city.
The last picture shows Jan-Eriks host with his granddaughter Nana.

19 October 2000

After breakfast; Departure from Yamaguchi, and from our hostfamilies, to Iwakuni,where we were kindly met by Rotarians.

First we took lunch outdoors and then checked in at our hotel (with a warm welcome outside the hotel).
Then we went over the very famous Kintai Bridge, a 300 years old bridge, build without using nails.

We also visited a historical museum with many old Samorai-swords. You see Renars holding a 800 years old sword.
Later in the afternoon we were introduced to the Major of Iwakuni.
In the evening the Rotary Club Iwakuni West had arranged a very nicewelcome party where we met our hostfamilies for tomorrow night.
During the party we also saw an old japanese dance.

20 October 2000

After breakfast; Departure from Yamaguchi, and from our hostfamilies, to Iwakuni,where we were kindly met by Rotarians.

First we took lunch outdoors and then checked in at our hotel (with a warm welcome outside the hotel).
Then we went over the very famous Kintai Bridge, a 300 years old bridge, build without using nails.

We also visited a historical museum with many old Samorai-swords. You see Renars holding a 800 years old sword.
Later in the afternoon we were introduced to the Major of Iwakuni.
In the evening the Rotary Club Iwakuni West had arranged a very nicewelcome party where we met our hostfamilies for tomorrow night.
During the party we also saw an old japanese dance.

21 October 2000

Transport with Shinkansen from Iwakuni to Hiroshima. After meeting with some japanese friends, we departed by bus for a "have-a-nice-day party" at Mr Ohara's villa in the mountains.
We also enjoyed the company of two swedish students from Hiroshima University.
This was really a relaxing day.

22 October 2000


23 October 2000

In the morning we went to Miyoshi, a city about 60 km from Hiroshima.

At lunchtime we participate in a Rotary meeting (Miyosmi-Chou RC) held in a buddist Temple (just for this time).

A monk told about Zazen (meditation), and then we practiced Zazensitting on tatami for about 10 min (a silent Rotary meeting).

After lunch we visited a historical museum and also looked at old japanese houses.

Then it was time to go to a Kimono-shop (in a marvellous japanese house), where we werepresented kimonos.

In the evening we were invited to an old japanese "farmerhouse" for an outdoor party, together with rotarians from Miyoshi.

This was a really nice evening, where we listened to a chines artist, playing on an old stringinstrument, and discussed a lot.
We stayed over night in this house, on tatami.

24 October 2000

The first piture shows the japanese farmerhouse in the morning, before we went back to Hiroshima.

At lunchtime we participated in a Rotary meeting(Hiroshima South West RC).

In the afternoon we made vocational studies. Kristin at the university hospital in Hiroshima and the other teammembers
visited Mitsubishi Heavy Ind. where they among others manufacture Iron and steel manufacturing machinery, compressors

and turbines (mostly for the petrochemicalindustry).
In the evening we were invited to a dinner party with members from
Hiroshima Southeast RC, in Mr. Takates restaurang, a really nice evening.

25 October 2000

In the morning we send some e-mail from the Rotary office in Hiroshima, serving 12 Clubs, and then Rotary lunch with Hiroshima East RC.
In the afternoon we was learned about japanese Tea cermony at the Ueda school.
This tea ceremony takes normally about 4 hours. The ceremony starts with a calming downin the teahouse garden.

Then you enter an almost empty room, where the ceremony takes place.
The japanese green powder tea is prepared in the room and you drink it in a ceremonial way.
After the (shortend) ceremony Mr. Ueda explaned about the meaning and soul of this ceremony.

In the evening it was time for the farewell party, where nice speaches was held.
To take farewell is not that easy! Thank you all for everyting you have done for us.
(Our tour to Japan comes to an end first on sunday)

26 October 2000

Today we visited the world heritage - Miyajima island.
You see Otorii Gate (One of the three most beatiful sceeneries in Japan), the Itsukushima Shrine (Shinto temple)

and a picture from Daisho-in Temple (buddist temple).
To the right you also see the teamleader watching one samoraj and two monkies.
Petter and Jan-Erik entered the Mt. Misen, 530 m (partly with ropeway) from which they had a wonderful view.
This was also the last evening in Hiroshima, and of cause we then had to eat Okonomiyaki,

which the team did together with Mr. Matsumura, Mr. Sugau and Mr. Zaima from the Saijo RC.

27 October 2000

Today we left Hiroshima with Shinkansen (Goodby and thank you!).
At noon we arrived at Kyoto for sightseeing.
In the afternoon we visited the Sanju-sangen-do temple with 1001 statuesof Buddha.

We then continued to the Kinkakuji Temple and the golden pavilion.
This tour ended with Kiyomizu Temple and the shopping street closed to it.
In the evening we first had a typical Kyoto dinner and continued by looking ata performance with a Geisha.
The evening ended with TEAmleader participating in a TEAceremony on stage.

28 October 2000

In the morning we took the subway to Kyoto - Center, where we strolledaround in the old market and also made some shopping.
In the afternoon we took the Airport Express to Kansai Int. Airport (Osaka)and stayed over night in Washington Airport Hotell

29 October 2000

This GSE has come to an end, so Thank you everyone in RI District 2710,that have made this trip to an experience for life!!
The flight home was excellent, no problem. In Copenhagen Renrars-san departuredfor Latvia - Riga

and the rest of the team continued to Sweden - Norrköping.